Saturday, November 25, 2006

Industry thrives despite rampant IP "piracy"?

Note: I'm going to keep putting the word "piracy" in those annoying scare-quotes because it's a terrible term for IP [Intellectual Property] infringement. If pirates hijack a shipload of cannonballs in the Mediterranean, then the owners of that shipment are now short a few tons of cannonballs. If I download a copy of a song from a P2P service, then the owner of that IP may be out some money (assuming I would otherwise have bought that track elsewhere), but they're still in possession of the IP for the song; I haven't taken anyone's property from them, and it's not even clear that I've cost them any money if I wouldn't otherwise have purchased the track. Infringement, though illegal and possibly costly to an IP owner, does not equal piracy or theft, and the misuse of the term in this paper is unfortunate.

Read the article HERE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home