Sunday, May 21, 2006

Big bank goes phishing

I was on the road recently. I forgot/lost/misplaced my password to log on to Internet banking so I could pay my staff. I called 1-800-Amsouth and asked for my password.

They asked me for: 1) my name; 2) account name and number; 3) address; 4) federal ID number; and 5) date of birth. Then they gave me my password.

My wife overheard the conversation and raised hell with me about how easy it was to gain access to our intertwined online accounts with no decent security check. AmSouth's proof-positive security check was, in fact, public information.

Then it only got worse. AmSouth called me at home. The woman on the phone said she needed to discuss a problem with me, but first I needed to answer a couple of questions. Then she proceeded to ask me for personal information to "protect me" and "confirm my identity."

What's wrong with this picture?

Read the entire article HERE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home